Auto Repair Shop Owner's Daily Dose 23: What Leaders BringApr 07, 2020
What Leaders Bring by Rick White, President 180BIZ
Yesterday I talked to you about creating your own economy by not letting situations, circumstances and events dictate what's going on in your economy. It occupies six inches of real estate between your ears. Part of creating your own economy is about being that bright light in your market. I have clients who are doing just that and they're getting busier. Shops are starting to close up around them and they're getting busier. I want you to be one of those shops. Understand what you need to do. You need to be a leader. A leader needs to bring three things to the table.
- Certainty. You need to bring a sense of calmness and reassurance to the people around you. That, in itself, will attract people to you. Why? Because there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding everyone right now. Being that quiet in the storm, that lighthouse that is going to make all the difference in the world. You will attract people. Where does that certainty come from? For me, certainty tends to come from three places.
- My faith. I don't put my sense of security in what I achieve. I don't put my sense of security in my results. I don't put my sense of security in what's going on. I put my sense of security on something bigger than me. I have enough faith that I am exactly where I'm supposed to be right now. That everything that is happening is happening for me. It is helping me to become a better version of myself. And when I feel that way, I don't feel like a victim because it's not happening to me. So, the first place that I get certainty is my faith.
- My experiences. I have lived through the dotcom bubble and in the late nineties, early two thousands. I have lived through 9/11 and survived and thrived. I have lived through the recession of 2008. And guess what they said in 2001 that our economy would never be the same again. They said that we would be in a completely different world. That it was going to be different in ways that we couldn't understand. That we would have to overcome and adapt. Then they said the same thing again in 2008. Buying habits will have changed and they have. But you know something? This economy has been pretty darn good lately. As soon as this thing's over and people are feeling safe again, everyone will keep going.
- My capabilities. I have never dealt with a pandemic before and I am learning how to do that. I'm learning how to clarify my message. I'm learning how to help my clients through this. But guess what? I've never done this before. So, I'm not confident in the pandemic part, but I am extremely confident in my abilities as a whole. There have been so many other times where I have adapted and overcome. Honestly, this pandemic is a serious thing and we must be careful. But going through this and helping others is helping me get through this too. You need to have certainty as a leader, you need to be able to reassure the people that are with you, the people around you, and the people that you serve. That is the key point here.
- Clarity. The second thing a leader is going to bring to the table is a level of clarity. It’s like you have a picture so developed in your mind of what it's going to be that there's no doubt. Remember, clarity creates certainty. Clarity creates comfort because you know where you're going. I see such a great thing coming out of this virus from a business perspective. Again, I pray for people that are going through it. I pray for everyone's safety every day. I want this to go away, but sometimes we must recognize the God doesn't take things away from us.
God helps us get through them. I believe that and I think you must have such clarity. I believe that there are going to be some shops that do not open again if they close. I believe they're on the edge and they won't be back. I also believe that this is going to be one of the best times from an employer's perspective to find help. Close your eyes and paint a picture in your mind of a future that is so much better than today. The result is clarity on where you're going and how you're going to get there.
- Simplicity. Share your message quickly and concisely with everybody. Let them know what we need to do step by step. It will make all the difference in the world.
These are the three characteristics, three qualities a leader needs to bring today. Number one, certainty. Number two, clarity. Number three, simplicity. If you need help with any of those things, please reach out and let me know because I can help you. So today is world health day. Let's get out there. Let's celebrate the people on the front lines. If you have customers that are from our first responders, get their pictures off Facebook, whatever it is, give them a big thank you and a shout out. That's really a big thing.
Tip for the Day
Before you get out of bed in the morning, ask yourself the three questions that I spoke about in a previous Daily Dose episode. They will set you up for the day.
- What am I grateful for?
- Second question, who do I want to be today? The only difference between who you are today and who you want to be are going to be are the actions you take today. So be intentional about that. Decide on who you're going to be, and then do it.
- Where can I make a difference? Whether it is with a person or with an organization.
So, remember the three leadership qualities that you need right now.
Please share this video. We need more leaders today. Understand a leader is simply somebody that is an ordinary person that steps up in an extraordinary time and makes a difference. I believe every one of you can do that with your families, with your team, and with your community.
So go out and make it happen. God bless.